Rihanna is in a mini skirt phase. The Navy fans will know that when Rih commits to a look – see also her micro slip moment and her 2019 Bottega obsession – she truly commits. With her right hand man Jahleel Weaver pulling every single It-skirt – from Maximilian’s Tippex-white whisper of a skirt to Balenciaga’s scruffy-luxe denim belt – Rihanna, the influencer’s influencer, has doubled down on eye-watering hemlines. And rather than dress her skirts down, she’s doing what she always does: elevating her looks with sass-laden heels by her friend Amina Muaddi.
The “Umbrella” star’s mini skirt revival coincides with the surge of teeny-tiny skirting on the spring/summer 2022 runways. From Fendace’s safety-pin fastened skirts to Blumarine’s patchwork Y2K versions and Prada’s satin styles that come with trailing trains, Rih has her pick of wildly sexy styles next season. Naturally, she’ll have first dibs. But by then – knowing her – she’ll be onto the next big thing. Catch her while you can and mine Rihanna for the briefest of skirt inspo below.
- SPLASH NEWS4/9The young designer championRih’s way into the cut-out trend came via London’s rising star, Maximilian Davis, who is known for his “pose-wear”. Teamed with a Telfar bomber, this is the kind of look we wish Sporty Spice would have worn back in the day.
- MEGA AGENCY5/9The Noughties momentDolce & Gabbana’s ’00s ultra-mini was not the only talking point on this look. The “Diamonds” singer’s ’70s Hermès scarf and vintage Fendi Zucca tote also flexed her muscle at scoring cachet archive buys, while her Wales Bonner tee showed that she keeps her finger firmly on the current fashion pulse.
- BACKGRID6/9Sunday bestThe Fenty business mogul’s Sundays look a little different to ours. Diving out of upmarket eatery Giorgio Baldi – the restaurant-to-cab moment has become a key street-style opp for Rih – she framed her waxed Rick Owens mini skirt with a hooded duster coat from the subversive brand. Imagine looking this fabulous come the end of the weekend.
- EVAN AGOSTINI/INVISION/AP/SHUTTERSTOCK7/9Lingerie dressing made easyAt the premiere of her Savage X Fenty Volume 3 show, Rihanna wore a textural mash-up of lace, satin and silk that showed a garter skirt does qualify as eveningwear. Add a Margiela slit dress for the ultimate Rih stamp of approval.
- BADGALRIRI / INSTAGRAM8/9In peak Fenty brand ambassador modeRihanna’s LVMH-backed fashion house shuttered less than two years after its launch, but this look is a reminder of the looks she served during that time – always accessorised, of course, with a healthy dose of Bottega.
- KRISTIN CALLAHAN/ACE/SHUTTERSTOCK9/9In Tom Ford glamazon modeRihanna’s dedication to a look is unparalleled (hello Met Gala). Here she is serving Tom Ford (full-look spring/summer 2018) realness.